SENTIMENT CHE

El sentiment d'una afició, el teu fòrum d'opinió sobre el València CF

Bienvenidos los nuevos foreros, por favor leed las normas y disfrutemos del foro: NORMAS DEL FORO

Morbo

Forum for English-speaking visitors
Mensaje
Autor
hoser

Morbo

#1 Mensajepor hoser » 02 Feb 2007 17:23

Just a quick question: Is there a team in which the morbo is elevated when Valencia play them? I know that the morbo is high for whenever Real Madrid and Barçelona play, and for Sevilla - Betis, but is there big morbo between Valencia and some other team? Would it be Villareal?

It's in interesting idea, this morbo, and my understanding of it is that it is not just a rivalry, but something more than that. Can someone clarify what morbo exactly is?

abraxas
Contactar:

#2 Mensajepor abraxas » 02 Feb 2007 19:46

"Morbo" is difficult to translate. I think that although it has something to do with "kink" or "kinky", a better translation is "morbid fascination" (a sort of dark or kinky fascination).

At the present time, only the matches against Real Madrid or Barcelona can be "morbosos" for somebody. Perhaps in the future Villarreal and Levante will arrive to this level, if they remain in Primera División.

hoser

#3 Mensajepor hoser » 03 Feb 2007 11:26

Ah! Thanks abraxas.

So it is kind of like the German idea of schadenfreude.

def. schadenfreude: A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.

So not only is it a rivalry, but it is also the added satisfaction of watching a hated rival suffer. It's a shame that english doesn't really have a word for this, and if a word is used, it is the german schadenfreude mentioned above. That is, if people know the word.

che_ingles
Contactar:

#4 Mensajepor che_ingles » 12 Feb 2007 15:10

Try finding the book Morbo: The Story of Spanish Football by Phil Ball.

A fantastic read and a very good insight into Spanish football.
[align=center]Imagen

Imagen[/align]

hoser

#5 Mensajepor hoser » 14 Feb 2007 13:05

che_ingles escribió:Try finding the book Morbo: The Story of Spanish Football by Phil Ball.

A fantastic read and a very good insight into Spanish football.

Thanks, but I have read it. It's a great book. I think what I like about it most is that it tries to capture some of the flavor of the different Spanish regions.

che_ingles
Contactar:

#6 Mensajepor che_ingles » 15 Feb 2007 22:24

hoser escribió:
Thanks, but I have read it. It's a great book. I think what I like about it most is that it tries to capture some of the flavor of the different Spanish regions.

Yeah, I like the way it doesn't just focus on Real and Barca but also looks at Andalucia, Galicia, Euskadi etc
[align=center]Imagen

Imagen[/align]

Volver a “CHE WORLD”